Monday, July 9, 2012

Day 1 Reflection

      We have arrived. We had no running water, but we learned how to turn it on. The big fridge was broken, but we fit 2 gallons of milk, 4 packs of lunch meat, 3 dozen eggs, 3 bags of frozen vegetables, cream cheese, and butter into the mini fridge. We had no kitchen knives, so we used a pocket knife to cut the vegetables for dinner. We had to re-imagine how to do a lot of things in our kitchen. But when we sat down in mismatched chairs to eat dinner at a long table made of two short tables to eat off mismatched plates, spaghetti and salad had never tasted better. The cherries tasted extra sweet and the water was extra cold. (This may have been partly because the hot water tank doesn't work, but that is another story.)
      Although I would have been more comfortable cooking in my own kitchen and with proper utensils, I know that this experience with ultimately make me a better cook, better improvisor, and better person. I learned how to use a garlic mincer. I learned how to use a pocket knife. I was surprised by acceptance and respect expressed by the people in our peace circle. This day has been a learning experience and an adventure in many ways.

Written by: Popeye

No comments:

Post a Comment